X-Ray & Testing Corporation is the authorized
dealer and agent for the JME Betatron in the
United States of America. Please
contact Joel Moreau in the event that you may have
an interest in purchasing or utilizing a Betatron
for a special application.
Phone: (985) 631-2426
Fax: (985) 631-0093
All warranty work
on the Betatron will be performed by Global X-Ray in
Global Automated Systems Commitment of making technological advances in the field of NDE has led to the development and/or enhancements of Technologically
Advanced Automated Inspection Systems. The need for a compact yet portable X-Ray device in the oil and gas and other industries was found to be needed due to the use of thicker and more dense materials. The Portable
Betatron is a compact circular electron accelerator producing a high energy directional x-ray beam. It contains no moving parts except small airflow fans, and no circulating liquids, the Betatron is easy to
assemble, operate and maintain, and is far less costly than other NDT accelerators such as Linacs.
The Betatron produces radiographs of very high contrast, sensitivity and resolution, meeting the tightest inspection standards. It replaces Cobalt-60 Gamma
isotope sources, which may not give acceptable quality levels and require costly replenishment.
Radiation levels outside the main beam are low so safe working distances are moderate. After demarcation of dose rate boundaries, the Betatron may be used at
external sites or in fabrication shops with little or no additional shielding.
The Betatron is capable of producing high quality radiographic inspections on many items thought impractical utilizing any method of NDE. Due to its
portability the Betatron can easily be transported and maintained at most any work site. The following is a short list of the many items and components inspected utilizing the Portable Betatron at there respective
- Large Forgings, castings, valves, beams, ship’s hulls, pressure vessels, engine blocks, billets, thick welds, dense metals, composites, military hardware, munitions/propellants,
reinforced concrete buildings and bridges.
- The Betatron has been utilized at gas processing facilities to determine the rate or rates of internal erosion/corrosion on heavy walled valves and fittings, up to 12" in
thickness, during regular operational hours. This resulted in no down time on behalf of the operator and determined the validity of process components.
Penetrates 12" of steel or 3' of concrete
Only requires a single phase AC supply
Reliable solid state electronic components
Tiny focal spot size provides superb resolution
Automatic exposure dose timing facility
Backscatter very low for personnel safety
Low heat output (water cooling not needed)
Easy to transport, operate and maintain
- Compact, powerful, mobile, versatile
- Output energy selectable up to 6 MeV
Basic Technical Data
- X-Ray output energy selector 2 to 6 MeV
- Dose rate at 3' (air) 3R (3cGY) per minute
- Focal spot size .01" x .039"
- Radiation beam spread angle 26 degrees
- Radiographic sensitivity down to 0.5%
- AC power input 110/240v 50/60 Hz
Dimensions and weights of principle modules
- Accelerator 24" x 16" x 9" 200 lbs.
- Power convertor 24" x 16" x 14" 132 lbs.
- Control panel 14" x 13" x 8" 15.4 lbs
- Total system weight with connection cables and accessories (radiation warning alarm unit, and remote dosemeter for automatic film exposure timing) : 419 lbs.